Things To Do In Deep Creek Lake In Summer
Time to break out the sunscreen and flip flops and prepare to experience summer "Deep Creek Lake Style". Rent a boat or jet-ski for the week from one of our local marinas and explore the lake from a whole new perspective. Grab your clubs and head to one of our local golf courses or take the family horseback riding at an area stable.
Feel like a daredevil? Then head over to Wisp Resort's playground and experience the exhilarating rush of the Mountain Coster! Try out the zipline or take a tour of the mountain on a Segway.
Need a Girls Day Out? Head to Oakland for some antique shopping. While you're there, check out some of the other boutiques and the historic train station.
No matter what activity that you choose, you will not be at a loss for fun at Deep Creek Lake.
Boating - Boating on Deep Creek Lake is a way of life during the hot summer season. Stop by one of our local marinas for all of your boat rental needs, whether you are looking for a ski boat, pontoon boat, jet-ski, or certain water toy, they will have what you are looking for.
Outdoor Adventure - Wisp Resort offers a variety of exciting activities.
- Experience one of the three canopy tour adventures that range from large to small.
- Try out a Segway tour. This mountain buggy requires a sense of balance and a willing spirit.
- Fun will be had by the whole family, when you spend an afternoon playing a round of disc golf. Throw your discs on the endless 18 whole course or the 9 whole family friendly holes at the base of the mountain.
- Looking for something a little more serene? Sign up for Wisp's pontoon tours and experience a whole different side of the lake. The experienced tour guides will not only point out local wildlife and nature but teach you some history about Deep Creek Lake along with some old folk lore. www.wispresort.com 301-387-4911
White Water Rafting – Beat the heat by navigating the local rivers on guided tours on the Youghiogheny and Cheat Lake Rivers. Test out Adventure Sports Center man made river (only 2 in the country) for some fun guided tours. This is a great river to try out for the first time and even if there are some non-rafting people in the group they can watch and take pictures as you go by!
Visit our area Recreation/State Parks- Picnics, BBQ cookouts, days idly spent at the beach all personify the meaning of Summer. Spend time doing just this at one of our many area parks.
- Deep Creek Lake State Park - picnic tables, grills, shelters, and restrooms are available. This park does have a public beach with lifeguards on duty during the summer months. There is an entrance fee to the park.
- Herrington Manor State Park - picnic tables, grills, shelters, and restrooms are available. Contact the park concerning days that a lifeguard is on duty. Certain water crafts (canoes, kayaks, paddle boats) are available for rent. There is a snack bar open during the summer months as well.
- New Germany State Park - picnic tables, grills, shelters, and restrooms are available. Rowboats, paddleboats, and open kayaks are available for rent. Contact the park concerning days that a lifeguard is on duty. The snack bar is available during summer months.
- Broadford Recreation Area - located in the historic town of Mountain Lake Park, this park offers a beach area (without life guards on duty), grills, restrooms, picnic tables, rentable pavilions for larger groups, a volleyball court, and playground equipment. Water crafts are available on a first come, first serve basis.
All Earth Eco Tours - Garrett County's oldest (since 2000) land and water nature oriented family adventure company. Phone 301-746-4083 or 800-446-7554. Website and tour schedule: www.allearthecotours.com.
5 Star Trip Advisor Rated and featured on Outdoors Maryland TV program, All Earth Eco Tours is focused on reconnecting individuals, families and kids with nature. Tours and programs take place in the parks, forests, nature preserves, undeveloped lakes and wild and scenic rivers of Garrett County. All activities are fun learning adventures that will have you returning again and again. Your expert kayak instructors and mountain guides share their enthusiasm and knowledge of the natural world with you to help your family get the most out of your mountain vacation. Reconnect, relax and rejuvenate in the peaceful and quiet places of Garrett County.
- The 4 hour gently paced Savage Reservoir Kayak Tour is the keynote adventure and takes place on a wilderness lake with bald eagles and no motor boats. The 3.5 mile long reservoir is situated in the Big Savage Wild Lands with new gorgeous views revealed around every bend. It's the perfect place to learn kayaking and is only 20-30 scenic minutes from Deep Creek Lake in the heart of the Savage State Forest and Maryland's highest mountains. Tour includes a nice picnic lunch, boats, equipment and expert guides. Truly a relaxing day surrounded by pristine mountains and peace and quiet.
- Swallow Falls Nature Walk or Cranesville Nature Preserve. 2 hours of exploration and discovery at two of the areas most beautiful and interesting natural locations. The perfect trip for newcomers to the area that want to learn the history and ecology of our area as well as get the inside scoop on the area in general from their guide. Most tours feature some off-the-beaten-path exploration to hidden areas and a look at the famous waterfall attractions (Swallow Falls) and unique northern boreal swamp (Cranesville).
- Certified Yoga instructors are sent to your lodging location to provide a yoga program that will have your group feeling rejuvenated and energized. Perfect for bridal retreats, corporate groups and other groups looking for a great activity that is guaranteed to refresh. All abilities and ages. We bring the matts and expertise.
- Family Riverwalk. This 3 hour walk into the designated Wild and Scenic Youghiogheny River Corridor is an easy trip for families of all ages and is even stroller friendly. Your guide shares with you the history and ecology of this wild place and you get to swim and relax at a gorgeous swimming hole. The Kendall Trail which follows an old logging railroad bed is rich in history and lore.
- Organic Farm Tours and a Farm Day Camp for kids. These farm programs are like no other and expose kids and families to small family farming and organic growing techniques and philosophies. The tours are custom scheduled 2 hour trips to Backbone Farm that has been featured in Mother Earth News. You learn about natural farming practices from seed to table and mushroom cultivation. The Farm Camp for kids is a four day, day camp that has way to many exciting and fun activities to list here.
- Nature Photography Field Workshops. These tours and learning workshops take place on a regularly scheduled basis and can be custom designed and scheduled. Locations vary but rest assured you will travel to the hidden gems of the area. Great for folks of all abilities these workshops are led by professional photographer and guide Crede Calhoun whose published credits include, Outside, Audubon, Ski Magazine, Canoe Magazine, Maryland Magazine, Mother Earth News, and National Geographic Traveller.
- Custom Adventures and Out-Of-The_Box and Into-The-Woods programs found nowhere else. Feature program is the Team Survivor adventure that includes problem solving, map reading, outdoor skill development, and group creativity and team work. Your 'Tribe' must complete a variety of tasks culminiating in the set up of a survival camp and development of a tribal mythology and identity. Super fun and super different. 3 hour versions for small groups and a full day version for larger groups that includes an organic food picnic!
Spring In Deep Creek Fall In Deep Creek Winter In Deep Creek